Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Attitude of Gratitude

Years ago (seems like lifetimes ago!!) when I was directing Children's Choirs, we learned a song called "Attitude of Gratitude"......a song that I pulled out every year about this time, regardless of what else was going on in choir at the time. I no longer remember every lyric, or even the tune, but the concept stuck. Today, on this very dreary gray morning with lots of rain from a hurricane in the Gulf and the accompanying arthritis pain, I need the reminder to focus on the things for which I am grateful instead of the things that are less than I would like them to be.

I wonder why it is so easy for us as humans to focus on the negative, to view our glass as half empty rather than half full. Why are we so often so ungrateful when we have so much for which to give thanks? I am not so naive as to believe that life is without problems. There are "issues" everywhere......political issues, terrorism, cancer, soaring unemployment, and I could go on and on and on.

But in the middle of all that are wonderful reasons for giving thanks......another day of life, family, friends. Even as I complain about this gloomy day, I must pause to give thanks for the rain......after several years of extreme drought and after the experience of our water source drying up last year, I am thankful for every drop of rain that falls......even if I don't particularly enjoy the aches and pains that accompany it!

So, even on this gloomy morning, I purpose to focus my attention on reasons for rejoicing rather than on any reasons I have for complaining. Charles Dickens once said that we should reflect on our blessings, of which all men have many, rather than on our misfortunes, of which all men have some. I think that's very good advice.

As I reflect on my blessings today, I am so thankful for my precious husband, for our sons and grandsons. I am thankful for the years I had with my parents and for the certainty that I will see them again. I am so grateful for the love of God, for His grace and the gift of salvation, thankful that Jesus paid it all!

And I'm really thankful that my sweet husband made my coffee this morning!

Bless the Lord, O my soul; all within me, bless His Holy Name......Psalm 103:1

No comments:

Post a Comment