Wednesday, June 4, 2014

With Many Crowns

My day began with another trip over the river and through the woods, this time to the dentist's office.  I was getting a new crown this morning.

Going to the dentist is one of my least favorite things to do.  I don't even like to go for a teeth cleaning.  And I particularly do not like going to get a crown.  This isn't a new experience.  I've done this before.  Lots of times.  My mouth is full of many crowns!

Because I dislike my time in the dentist's chair so much, I have to think of things with which to occupy my mind while I'm there.  Sometimes I review Scripture verses that I have committed to memory.  I do this silently, of course, since even if I wanted to recite them aloud that would be impossible with all the stuff that's in my mouth while I'm sitting in that chair.

There's no pain, beyond the initial prick of the needle to give the first novocaine injection.  But there's the pressure of hands and instruments in my mouth.  There's the discomfort of holding my mouth open for such a long period of time.  This morning, since the crown was going on an upper molar, my mouth had to be open as wide as possible, and that's just uncomfortable.  And the noise!  The sound of a dentist's drill has to be one of my least favorite sounds ever!

So this morning, I had to find something to occupy my mind.  And I almost laughed out loud (or would have if all that stuff hadn't been in my mouth!) when my mind went to a praise song we used to sing about twenty years ago.........You are crowned with many crowns......Please don't think me disrespectful, but that did seem like a good theme song for me!!!!

I sang that one through a couple of times in my mind......

You are crowned with many crowns,
And rule all things with righteousness.......
 
And then my mind went directly to my favorite of all my favorite hymns.......
 
Crown him with many crowns,
The Lamb upon his throne;
Hark! how the heavenly anthem drowns
All music but its own:
Awake, my soul, and sing
Of him who died for thee,
And hail him as thy matchless King
Through all eternity.
(Bridges/Elvey)
 
I can't think of any better way to occupy my mind than to focus on Christ!  Who says you can't worship in a dentist's chair?
 
"The twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying 'Worthy are you, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.'"  (Revelation 4:10-11 ESV)


No comments:

Post a Comment