Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It's About The Process

Sometimes my impatience gets the better of me.  The I-want-what-I-want-and-I-want-it-right-now side takes over.

Can you relate?

We aren't surprised when we see that sort of behavior in our children.  In fact, we rather expect it.  We sometimes even (at least inwardly) think their determination to get what they want is sort of cute.

It isn't nearly as cute on those of us who left childhood behind long ago.  Even so, our impatient side often rears its ugly head.

When we don't get what we want.  When our prayers aren't being answered according to our timetable.  When we have to wait.

There are any number of circumstances that send us into impatient mode.

In my case, it's the waiting for a buyer for our house, coupled with trying to make the right decision about the next house.

That has sent me into frustration overdrive!  Which has led to stress.  Which has led to physical consequences, since RA doesn't respond well to stress.

This morning has brought me a different outlook on the entire situation.  Lately I've been working my way through Cynthia Heald's devotional study Becoming a Woman of Prayer.  In this morning's chapter, Heald shared this quote from Andrew Murray (emphasis mine).

"The blessing of such persevering prayer is unspeakable.  There is nothing so heart-searching as the prayer of faith.  It teaches you to discover and confess, and give up everything that hinders the coming of the blessing; everything there may be not in accordance with the Father's will.  It leads to closer fellowship with Him who alone can teach to pray, to a more entire surrender to draw nigh under no covering but that of the blood, and the Spirit.  It calls to a closer and more simple abiding in Christ alone.  Christian!  Give God time.  He will perfect that which concerneth you.

Give God time.  Which is, of course, the very thing I haven't been giving Him.  I have been very much in impatient, do-it-now mode.

From the beginning of this process I have prayed that the house would sell in a way that brings God glory.  It occurs to me this morning that perhaps it is His intention not to be glorified by selling the house in some speedy, miraculous sort of way, but rather that He seeks to work in me through this process.  That what He is teaching me through the process will bring Him more glory than some quick, and then soon forgotten, house sale.

As I have often said throughout this process, this is not how I would do it!  But, as I have also often said, God is God and I am not!

So, today I am learning.  And as Cynthia Heald points out in her book, "Both the process and the answer are worthy of praise."

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 4:6-7 ESV)

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or think according to the power at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever.  Amen."  (Ephesians 3:20 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment