Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Seeing the Big Picture

Yesterday Al and I celebrated a milestone - 42 years of marriage.  Of course, as has often been the case over these years of our marriage, we're on opposite coasts, but it was still a day of celebration! 

Our anniversary was a time a celebration, but sometimes anniversaries aren't such joyous events.  This month marks an anniversary for a dear friend of mine, the fourth year since her husband lost his battle with cancer and went to be with the Lord.  And she is on my mind this morning.

As I have been thinking of that sweet friend, I remember something she once told me her husband always used to say, throughout his cancer battle and even before.  That God sees the big picture and we don't.

That's an important truth for us to remember.  God sees the big picture, and we don't.

Often we're tempted to question God. And really, there is much we could find to question.  When we receive a serious medical diagnosis.  When those we love are battling cancer and other serious illnesses.  Financial challenges.....and depression.....and bereavement.  When we have prayed and the answer doesn't come when or how we expected it would.  When we have prayed and it seems the answer isn't coming at all.

There's a lot of "stuff" we have to deal with in this life.  Through it all, it helps to remember that God sees the big picture.  To remember that God knows what He is doing.  That God is in control.  That God is sovereign.

To remember.  And to trust Him.

Because He sees the big picture.

And we don't.

"Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind......for I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,'  for I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed and I will do it."  (Isaiah 46:8-11 ESV)



No comments:

Post a Comment