Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wiggles and Giggles

Yesterday was a "teacher work day/no school for students" day here in FL, at least here in the Tampa area.  So late on Monday afternoon I received a phone call here at the hotel where we are staying.  A little voice said, "Nana, do you have plans tomorrow?"  When I replied that I didn't, the little voice (which belongs to my grandson Christopher) said, "Well, would you like to come hang out with me?"

Who could refuse an offer like that?  So yesterday, that's what I did.  Hung out with Christopher all day long.  We watched movies.  Things like "Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius" and "Rescue Bots".  Stuff like that.  The kinds of movies that 5-almost-6 year old boys like to watch.  We had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.  We played board games.

One of the games we played was called "Wiggles and Giggles".  It's a lot of fun for 5-almost-6 year old boys.  A little more challenging for Nanas with arthritis and orthopedic "issues"!  The game involves foam balls about the size of tennis balls.  These balls are placed under the chin or in the crook of the elbow or behind the knee......wherever the spinner indicates.  Then a second spin indicates the action to be taken while the ball is in that particular position.  Things like leaping like a frog.  Or walking on your knees.  Each action must be completed three times for it to count.  I guess the actions count as the "wiggles".  There was certainly a lot of giggling involved as well.

After all that we came over to hang out at the hotel.  There's a playground next to the hotel, so we put on our jackets and went out there for a while.  The jackets were really necessary since the temperature was in the (gasp!) low 60s.  I'm sure that sounds ridiculous to my friends in the frozen north, but here in FL, that's pretty chilly!  After Christopher decided he had played long enough and was tired, we came back inside to have a snack and hang out some more, which meant finding the Disney Channel on the hotel TV and waiting for Daddy to come pick him up.

What a great way to spend the day!  And how thankful I am for all precious memories I stored up.   On those days when I start feeling a little bit envious of grandparents who live near their grandchildren and get to see them often, I'll pull out these memories - and the photos I took - and remember a really fun day of wiggles and giggles!

Christopher turns 6 today.  Happy Birthday, Christopher!  Thanks for hanging out with me yesterday!


"Grandchildren are the crown of the aged." (Proverbs 17:6 ESV)




No comments:

Post a Comment