Monday, January 21, 2013

A Rainy Day in the Cemetery

Yesterday, January 20, was my daddy's 92nd birthday.  It's the 4th birthday since he went to heaven.  Every year at about this time, I go by the cemetery where he and Mother are buried and change the flowers.  I take away the "Christmas flowers" and replace them with some "birthday flowers".

This year Al and I stopped by the cemetery on our way from North Carolina down to Florida.  As I write, I am enjoying beautiful sunshine and glorious views from my hotel balcony in Tampa.  But just a few days ago we were experiencing some quite different weather.  It was cold and wet and windy when we left home, with the forecast for heavy wet snow later that day.  BRRR!!!  It had been raining in our part of the world for days and days!!

When we arrived at the cemetery, it was still raining.  And it continued to rain.  In fact, we waited in the car for nearly an hour before the rain abated enough for us to venture out of the car.  Al spent some time on the phone while we waited, and I took a trip down memory lane, as I usually do when I come to perform this love-task.

As I remember my parents, I remember their love for each other.  Their love for God.  The twinkle in the eyes.  And I remember their love for my brother and me.  I find myself hoping that they knew just how much I loved them.  I find myself wondering if I told them often enough.  And I find myself wishing I could say "I love you" to each of them just one more time.

Last Thursday, in the cold, wet, dreary cemetery, a conversation I once had with my mother popped into my head.  She was in hospital at the time and was telling me about a new dress she had recently bought.  She bought it with long sleeves so that she could be buried in it and so that when that happened she "wouldn't get cold crossing over Jordan", as she said with that famous twinkle in her eye.  I told her I didn't think it would be a problem, since it would be a quick trip.  (see 2 Corinthians 5:8.....absent from the body and present with the Lord.)  How thankful I am that both my parents were ready to make that trip!

Daddy's leaving from this life was sudden.  Mother had been in ill health for many years before her passing, but Daddy just had a massive heart attack and died on the spot.  We found his Bible still open, along with his devotional book, to the passage he read on his last morning in this life.

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.  Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."  (Colossians 3:1-2 KJV)

As I walked through the cemetery on a cold and rainy day in January, struggling with flowers and umbrella and struggling to stay dry, I remembered those verses.  And I remembered my daddy, whose life had been a reflection of those verses.  I found myself wondering about the other people whose graves I walked past.  Some of them I knew, but not all.  And so I wondered what their lives were about.  Where were their affections set?  What was their life story?

I know about my daddy.  And my mother.  I know their story.  I know where their affections were set.  And I can answer for myself.  But what about you?

That's what I'm thinking about today as I enjoy I enjoy sunshine and warm temperatures here in Tampa.  Remembering a rainy day in the cemetery and reflecting on lives well lived for Jesus.

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."  (Colossians 3:1-2 ESV)






No comments:

Post a Comment