Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lessons from Dust Bunnies

As I was doing a little housework this morning, I finally got around to some much-needed dusting.  And as I was dealing with the dust bunnies, I started thinking about my upcoming cataract surgery.  It occurred to me that once the surgery is over, I will be able to see so much better as I go about my daily tasks.  And then it occurred to me that I will probably go into some freak-out mode once I see how dusty this house actually is!!  Right now the dust doesn't bother me so much.  After all, if I can't see it, then it isn't there!!  My foggy vision makes it much easier to ignore the obvious.

I think there may be a spiritual lesson here.  Perhaps several.  About ignoring the obvious.  About cloudy vision.  About a reality check.

Just as I have been ignoring the dust on tables and bookshelves - even though I couldn't see it as well as I once did, I clearly knew it was there - I think many times we also ignore our bad attitudes, our bad behaviors, the things we should have done but didn't do.  And once ignored long enough, they no longer get our attention at all.

Or perhaps we view circumstances, behaviors, attitudes through a cloudy lens.  That's what a cataract is - a cloudy lens.  Like looking at everything through fog.

So maybe it's time for a spiritual reality check.  Just as the dust bunnies around the house need to be dealt with or they take over, we need some spiritual housecleaning as well. 

It's time to stop and do a reality check.  Time to do some spiritual housecleaning.  Time to get rid of our spiritual cataracts.  Time for a vision check. 

Where are our eyes focused?  Fixed on Jesus?  If not, it's time for a change.
How are we spending our time?  Are we using it wisely?  If not, it's time for a change.
What about attitudes?  Are they God-honoring?  Or are they self-serving?  If the latter, then it's time for a change.

I'm looking forward to my cataract surgery.  I'm looking forward to seeing clearly again.  Even if it means I see all the dust bunnies.  Especially if it means I see all the dust bunnies.  Then I can deal with them.  And I'm praying that God will give me clear spiritual vision as well, so that I can see what needs changing and deal with it as He leads me.

"Therefore, I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."  (Ephesians 4:1-3 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment