Tuesday, October 4, 2011

In the Footsteps of Jesus

Walking in the Footsteps of Jesus: A Journey through the Lands and Lessons of Christ by Wayne Stiles has made its way to my list of favorite books.  I came across this book several months ago when I was searching Amazon.com for another book.  It came up on that list of "other people who ordered this book also ordered....." and the title intrigued me, so I added it to my order.  And I'm so glad I did.

It has taken me a while to get through this book.  Not because it's a long book; it isn't.  There are less than 200 pages.  A book of that length is something I could normally read in a day's time.  But this isn't one that I wanted to breeze through or skim over.  I found it to be a book I wanted to read slowly, savoring each section.

This book is part travelogue, and part Bible study.  It is a compilation of Stiles' travels to the Holy Land.  He brings the land and the teachings of Jesus to life as we become armchair travelers with him.  There are serious moments and humorous ones as well, such as the account of his first experience in the Tel Aviv airport.  If you have ever arrived at a destination only to find that your luggage made a different trip, you will relate!

If you have ever traveled to Israel, you will find your memory stirred as he writes of places you have visited yourself.  If you have only dreamed of going there, Stiles will take you with him on his travels in such a way that you could almost believe you were there.  And through it all you will find your heart stirred and challenged as he walks with you through the land and teachings of Jesus.

Part travel guide.  Part memoir.  Part biblical commentary.  That's how one reviewer described the book.  And I would agree.  But however it's described, this is a book I will return to over and over again.  Some books are read and forgotten.  Some are read and then placed on a shelf to collect dust.  Some - like this one - have a lasting impact.

Here are a few words from the last chapter to whet your appetite:

"I don't think it's enough to come to the lands of the Bible - or to the Bible itself - just to ask questions or to walk where Jesus walked.  Questions about faith should never be simply rhetorical.  They must have answers, and the answers must reveal themselves in a changed life........My life must grow to where all I do flows from a love and an affection for Jesus, who died and rose and will return - out of love for me.  What an unspeakable privilege to walk in His footsteps every day."

What an unspeakable privilege indeed!  And what a blessing to have come across this book.  I highly recommend it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment