Monday, October 10, 2011

Counting My Blessings

Monday is laundry day around here.  And recently, laundry day has been a big cause for concern. We haven't had much rain, and the mountain spring that supplies water to our house has not been producing adequate water.

For the last several days, we've been doing some serious praying about this problem.  Our life group has been praying.  Our church family is praying for us. 

In the past, we have focused on finding a long-term solution to this water problem.  But we have changed our focus a bit.

As the Israelites wandered in the wilderness, God provided manna for them to eat.  They were told to gather enough for each day.  No more.  Just a day's supply.  And whatever they gathered was enough.  If they gathered extra, it spoiled. 

When Jesus taught His disciples to pray, He taught them to pray "give us this day our daily bread" (emphasis mine).

Hmmmmm.......

So, today I prayed very specifically that God would provide the water we needed for THIS day.  And He has!  The laundry is done.  The water pressure is better than it has been in quite some time.  We don't have rain yet, but I've been asking for that, too!!  I can wash my face and brush my teeth and make dinner and do all the things that require water......that commodity that we Americans take so for granted. 

I'm afraid we take many of God's blessings for granted.  I'm giving thanks today for the water.  And I'm asking God to forgive me for all the times I have taken His provision for granted.  Probably more times than I could even count.

And I'm praising God because of His goodness!  Because He is a faithful God!  Because He answers prayer!  What an awesome God He is!

"Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever."  (Ephesians 3:20 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment