Friday, June 17, 2011

Positive Affirmations

In my years in direct sales, positive affirmations have become a way of life.  It goes along with the "what the mind can believe and conceive, it can achieve" mantra that is part of our pink bubble.  In the beginning, I just viewed the whole affirmation thing as a little bit strange.  I came to realize, however, that "self talk"......the things I say to myself and convince myself are true.....has a great affect on how my day, my business, my relationships turn out.  If I say "I am happy, I am healthy, I am terrific" often enough, then I begin to believe it......in spite of all my aches and pains!  If I say "I'm awake, alert and enthusiastic" then I become more so.  I tried "I am skinny, rich, and organized", but somehow only one of the three ever became reality!

Having that positive approach to the day led to greater success in my business, but I am convinced also led to greater success in interpersonal relationships as well.  Perhaps that is really the foundation of greater success in my business!  In any event, a "glass half full" approach to life certainly leads to a happier life than the "half empty" view so many people take.

It occurs to me that we would do well to use this approach in our spiritual lives.  I'm not talking about reciting some mumbo-jumbo mantra daily that will somehow cause all our problems to go away or lead us to some higher spiritual plane.  That's a little (a lot!) too New-Agey for me.

I'm talking about focusing our attention on the blessings that are ours in abundance.  Psalm 103 is a good place to start.  Why not join me in making this your daily affirmation? 

Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities; Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit:
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
Bless the Lord, all you works of His.
In all places of His dominion, bless the Lord, O my soul!
-Psalm 103:1-5,22




No comments:

Post a Comment