Thursday, June 16, 2011

Distractions

As I begin this post, I almost feel the need to offer a subtitle, or perhaps a disclaimer of some sort.  What I'm really trying to focus on (note the word "trying"!) is what I often refer to as my spiritual ADD.  That's attention deficit disorder for those of you not familiar with the acronym.  I have such good intentions.  And I really WANT to do these things......to spend time in Bible Study, to sit and wait on God, to hear His voice (not audibly, necessarily.....just that "still, small voice"), and I could go on.  But.......

And there's the rub, isn't it?  There's always a "but".  But I need to answer the phone.  But I need to get the laundry started.  But my mind starts to wander.  But the dog needs to go out.  But I want to go play with my grandson; after all, he's only here for a few days. But I need to water the plants.  But........

Now I realize that I can listen to God and I can meditate on His Word while I'm watering plants or washing dishes or making the bed or doing lots of those things.  And I often do.  That's not really the problem.  The issue is more that I am so easily distracted from my purposeful intention to block those things out and have  a more extended and focused time of prayer or of time in the Word.  Sometimes just getting started is the biggest stumbling block!

This morning is a good example.  I have the day completely to myself.  Al is out of town.  Brian, Emily and Christopher are visiting with Emily's dad until later in the day.  There are no pressing chores to be done.  The plants are watered and the laundry is caught up.  I have no place I need to go.  My intention has been to spend time this morning in Bible Study.  I'm beginning a new Precept study in the Book of Daniel.  I'm really excited about that.  So why can't I get started? 

Well, I needed to watch my morning news show to see what's going on in the world.  And I needed to check my e-mail; after all, something really important might be in my in-box.  I needed to get on Facebook.....just in case I missed something!  I needed to let Molly out.  See what I mean?  None of that was really important......well, except for Molly.  And sharing with all of you my frustration at being so distracted from my purpose!  Am I the only one who has this issue?

So, now that I have confessed to you that I have trouble focusing on the task at hand, I'll just end this post and get started with my Bible Study.  I'll do that just as soon as I get another cup of coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment