Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What I'm Thinking About Today

What's on your mind this morning?  I've been doing some thinking today.....about Moses.  Remember him? 

Moses went up on Mount Sinai to receive the Ten Commandments from God.  The people couldn't go with him.  He went up alone and spent forty days and nights on the mountain in the presence of God.  Not only did he receive the Ten Commandments, but also plans for the tabernacle as well as procedures for annointing, ordaining and consecrating the priests who would serve there.

Thinking about all that Moses received from God is a HUGE topic that we will be exploring in some detail.  But today let's think about what God received from Moses.........40 days and nights of his time!  Now, before you start jumping all over me with your excuses and rationalizations, please understand that I realize that most of us can't walk away from our lives to spend 40 days/nights on a mountain with God.  And that's not what I mean for us to do at all. 

But here's what I'm thinking about today......and what I'm challenging you to think about as well.  How much time.......real time.......do we actually spend with God?  I'm not asking how much time we spend in church, or in our Bible Study group, or with our Christian friends.  But how much time are we actually spending alone with God?  Yes, I understand that Moses went up the mountain and stayed that long because that's what God told him to do.  (There's lesson number one.....being obedient to whatever God tells you to do.....even when it doesn't make sense to you!)  However, I think there's another point to consider here, a point that is implied rather than explicitly stated in the Scripture.  The thought I want you to consider is that God called Moses up onto the mountain into His presence because He wanted to spend time with him

So here's what I'm pondering today.  How much time do I actually spend alone with God.  And why.  Is it because I want something from Him? Because I'm wrestling with a particular question or decision? Or just because I love Him and enjoy being in His presence?

Please understand......I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip on anyone....not on you or on me!  But I think this is a question we need to examine.  And having examined it, then do something about it!! So that's what I'm thinking about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment