Monday, September 12, 2022

The Bucket List


Do you have a bucket list? Most people do, even if they may not refer to it in those terms. We all have a list of things we would like to accomplish or places we would like to go. 

One of the things on my bucket list was to visit all 50 states. Thanks in great part to having lived in many parts of the country, and having traveled a lot with my husband for his work, I was able to check that off a few years ago. Another thing on my list is to visit all the National Parks. I’m not sure that is actually within reach, so I have another goal in mind - visiting all the State Parks in my state.

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous cruise around the Baltic Sea. While I had never had that on my bucket list, I’m so glad we decided on that region for our 50th wedding anniversary celebration. We saw stunning scenery and visited places that I not only had never dreamed of visiting. We went to some places I had never even heard of! Eidfjord, Norway. The Aland Islands, Finland. Alborg, Denmark. 

Because I’m a list maker, I think I will add this “Viking Homelands Adventure” to my bucket list just so I can mark it off! The beauty of that part of the world is breathtaking and had me often calling Psalm 19 to mind: “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.” 

Bucket lists are often focused on places we want to go. Things we want to accomplish. But have you ever considered having a spiritual bucket list? For some help making that list, turn to Psalm 37 and look at the verbs.

Fret not.

“Fret not because of evil doers….” Have you ever found yourself fretting over the evil in the world? Being distressed by what you see around you? It’s easy for us to be overwhelmed by the craziness in our world. To be discouraged and frustrated. That’s why this imperative - don’t fret - is a good item for the bucket list.

This is an imperative, which means we have a choice to obey or disobey/ignore this instruction. We are able to “fret not” as an act of the will. Not by our emotions, but by deliberate choice. It doesn’t come easily or naturally to us, so we must accompany this choice with prayer. Lord, Your word tells me not to fret, not to worry, but I’m finding myself overwhelmed. I need Your help. Help me to remember that you are my refuge and strength. (See Psalm 46.)

Trust in the Lord.

Trust in the Lord. Not in your feelings. Not in the news media or in social media or in any other person or thing. Trust in the Lord. It seems so simple, yet sometimes is so hard to do. But it’s a very basic discipline of the Christian life. Trust in the Lord. Period. 

Delight yourself in the Lord.

Again, this seems so obvious, doesn’t it. And we think to ourselves, well, of course I’m delighting in the Lord. 

But are you? Really? What brings you the most joy? How do you spend your time? Is the way you spend your time, your energy, your money, a reflection of your delight in the Lord? If not, then why not? This item on the list leads to some time in prayer and reflection, perhaps to some repentance and recommitment. It leads to the question, are my eyes “fixed on Jesus?” (See Hebrews 12:1-2)

And the list goes on…..

Commit your way to the Lord.

Be still before the Lord.

Refrain from anger.

Forsake anger.

Fret not. There it is again. At least two more times, depending on the translation you are using. Since it’s repeated, it must be important. Really important. So, as you’re working on your spiritual bucket list, this might be a good place to start. 

This is a repeated instruction throughout Scripture. It isn’t limited to this Psalm. It sometimes is phrased a little differently.

Fear not. Be strong. Don’t be afraid.

It all leads us to the same place. Don’t worry. Trust God.

Because God is in control. Of all things. And He can be trusted. So there’s no need to fret.






1 comment: