Wednesday, September 28, 2022

A Heartbreaking Statistic

A little more than two weeks have passed since we returned from a fabulous cruise around the Baltic Sea. These two weeks have been filled with memories of that adventure, but also filled with trying to catch up on life. Getting over jet lag; catching up with laundry; lots of appointments; just trying to get regular life back on track.

And in the middle of all that - well, actually going back to the beginning of the cruise - I have been dealing with identity theft of my social media account. Now that I have established a new account, I’m trying to catch up with that. Reestablishing contact with friends. Trying to prove to people that I am the real me. Just trying to get regular life back on track.

A lot happened in the world and among my friends’ lives while I was banned from social media. I missed a lot of birthdays. I missed seeing a lot of photos. I couldn’t communicate with people. It was all very frustrating. I felt pretty cut off from the world, and not just because I was miles away from home.

Reconnecting with social media has put me back in touch with friends near and far. It also gives me the opportunity to see what they post. And yesterday a friend shared the results of a survey from Lifeway that was very disheartening.

According to the survey, among Protestant churchgoers, only 32% read their Bible every day. 27% read the Bible a few times a week. And the next statistic is 12%. 12% of Protestant churchgoers read their Bible either once a week or rarely/never. (There was a tie for the 12%).

My first reaction was shock. But that was followed by extreme sadness. And the question why? Rarely or never reading your Bible while at the same time professing a faith in the God of the Bible is a heartbreaking statistic. Even more heartbreaking is another statistic that 66% of evangelicals access Facebook every day.

It seems we have our priorities way out of line.

And that breaks my heart.

If we don’t take time for God’s Word, how can we know how to live for Him as we ought?

Where do you fit into these statistics?

Something to think about.

“For the Word of God is living and active…..” (Hebrews 4:12)

“I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.” (Psalm 119:16 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment