Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Best Laid Plans.....

How did you spend your Sunday?


I had planned to spend my Sunday morning at church. We had been on our cruise around the British Isles for the last several weeks, so I was looking forward to being back worshiping with my church family. In addition, I was looking forward to leading our Bible study in 2 Timothy.


But, to borrow from the poet Robert Burns, "the best laid plans of mice and men go oft awry."


In spite of my best laid plans, I fainted and fell on Sunday morning, so because of my previous medical history, I was taken to Pelham Medical Center to get checked out. After the initial testing, I was admitted to the hospital for observation and further testing. After lots of poking and prodding, scanning and testing, everything was good, and I was discharged on Monday afternoon.


The good news is I didn't have another stroke. I didn't have a heart attack. I didn't break any bones. The bad news is there no answer about why this happened, so I'll be having some further tests.


Sunday and Monday were frustrating days. Lying in bed, doing nothing. Not allowed to get out of bed without assistance, and then only to go to the bathroom. Being fed a cardiac diet. Translation: no salt, no sugar, no taste. I was wearing a heart monitor, so every time I moved much, the nurses came running. And there's no sleeping in a hospital when your blood pressure is being checked every two hours. They came to draw blood at 4AM! And they woke me up before 6AM to have an MRI! Oh. My. Word.


The end result of it all is that I am very tired and very grateful. Grateful for the good care I received. Grateful for family and friends who called and texted and visited. Especially grateful for those who prayed.


Why did this happen? I don't know. Maybe we will never know. I hope it doesn't happen again. But even if it does, God is in control. Of this I am absolutely certain. I rest in that truth.


God is a sovereign God. Whatever happens in my life is for my good and for His glory. Even when I faint and fall, God is still God, and He is still in control. So I praise Him. On the good days. And on the bad days. And on all the in between days.


"This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is Your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion...therefore I hope in him." (Lamentations 3:21-23 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment