Thursday, February 14, 2019

With All My Heart

My earliest Valentine memories are of red construction paper hearts and white paper doilies and heart-shaped candies with messages like "Be Mine". Back in elementary school (way back in the 1950s!) we made our valentine "mailboxes" out of construction paper, or by decorating brown paper bags with construction paper hearts.

As I grew older, Valentine's Day came to be less about construction paper and more about flowers and chocolates that came in heart-shaped boxes.

Fast-forward to 1971, when I was a college student and was invited by a friend to attend a Valentine party at her church. There I met a young man who had just been discharged from the Air Force and had returned home.  A little more than a year later, on a warm summer evening, I married that young man! We drove away from the church that evening singing along with Karen Carpenter......"We've only just begun....". For all the years we have been married, that has remained "our song".

But today, I have another song ringing in my heart. On this day when all the world is thinking about hearts and flowers and chocolates and love, my thoughts have turned to what love is really all about.  To that greatest expression of love. To the Savior who gave His life that I might have life eternal.  Today, this is the song I'm singing......

With all my heart
I want to love you, Lord,
And live my life
Each day to know you more.
All that is in me
Is yours completely.
I'll serve you only
With all my heart.
(--Babbie Mason)

On this Valentine's Day, yes, I love my husband. He's been my sweetheart for all these years, and I'm so grateful for the party invitation all those years ago that brought us together. He really is my Knight in Shining Armour, my very own Prince Charming!

But even more than that, I am so very grateful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who loved me, not because I was worthy of His love, but even though I am not. Who loved me enough to die for me! That's the best Valentine ever!

"We love because He first loved us."  (1 John 4:19 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment