Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Looking Back and Looking Forward

Happy New Year! It's that time again! Today we mark the beginning of a new year. Time to take the old calendar off the wall and hang a fresh new one. Time for fresh clean pages in the planner. Time for a fresh start.

I don't know about you, but it seems to me that 2018 just flew by! Maybe it's a sign of getting older, but I can sometimes hardly believe how quickly time passes. Yet here we are again at the beginning of another year, and it's that time again - time for New Year's Resolutions. You know what I mean. It's time to make those ridiculous promises that we make at this time every year. Things like "I will lose 50 pounds by Friday" or "I will never allow anything chocolate to pass my lips ever again", or some other equally unattainable promise that will be broken before next Tuesday.

Have you ever noticed how resolutions are often vague? I need to do better. I need to lose some weight. I need to spend less money. I need to read my Bible more. With all that vagueness, how can we ever know whether or not we have actually accomplished anything?

That's why I no longer make New Year's resolutions. Instead, it has been my practice in recent years to set some goals for the new year, to determine a way to be accountable about those goals, and to have benchmarks that I can check periodically to mark my progress. That works much better for me than those pesky soon-to-be-forgotten resolutions. 

As I have been reflecting this last week on the year 2019, I looked back through my journals to the goals I set at the beginning of last year. I did pretty well in some areas and not quite so well in others. I followed the Bible reading plan I began last January, although I have not quite completed it. This year I read more slowly and often paused for some pondering, so I'm continuing on with this plan until I finish it. Then I'll decide on the next plan.


Although I began the year doing well in the areas of healthy eating and weight loss, I didn't end the year quite where I had hoped to be, so I'm pressing on in that area into the new year. I made great strides in my stroke recovery in 2018, and I am so thankful to God for that.

All that brings us to the beginning of a new year, and to a fresh opportunity to see God at work. It's time to set new goals and make a plan for reaching them.


This year my focus is on prayer, and as I read my Bible this year, I'll be looking for that word, and I'll be focusing on what the Bible has to say on the subject. My goal in that process is to be a better pray-er.  My prayer as I read is, Lord, teach me to pray.  I'll be marking those passages in my Bible, and I'll be writing down what I learn. Because writing helps me remember. In addition, I'll be keeping a more detailed prayer journal, writing down not only a list of things to pray about and the answers I receive, but writing down my prayers as well. Because writing helps me stay focused. And particularly in my post-stroke life, writing helps me remember. I have goals in other areas of my life as well.  Healthy eating. More exercise. Reaching my goal weight. New writing projects.
I have set my goals and made a plan, because having a plan helps me stay focused. My plans are written down, because writing helps me remember.

What about you? Have you thought about goals and plans for the new year? Having a plan in place, especially in the area of Bible reading, helps you stay focused. If you don't have a plan, there are a number of good plans available. I encourage you to read Scripture each day. Don't limit yourself to reading a devotional book. Read directly from God's Word. Read what God has to say, not just what others have written about it.

One of my favorite devotional books over the years as been My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers. Year after year I return to this book. And year after year, as a new year begins, I am drawn to this particular passage of Scripture, the passage with which Chambers begins the year:

".....my earnest expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death."  (Philippians 1:20 NASB)

Beyond all the goals and resolutions and plans and dreams, this is the one that matters most. That Christ be exalted. That is my earnest expectation and hope. To honor Him in all I do. In all I say. In all I am.




No comments:

Post a Comment