Saturday, April 7, 2018

The Painter's Daughter. A Book Review.


I don't know about you, but I have a quite lengthy to-be-read list. Following my stroke, I thinned that list out considerably, but there are still a number of books stacked up near my desk that I hope one day to read. Recently, I picked a selection from the stack and began reading.


Because I read much more slowly than I did in my pre-stroke days, and because the book I selected is long (452 pages in paperback), it took a while for me to get through The Painter's Daughter by Julie Klassen. But I am so glad I selected it from the stack. I enjoyed this book immensely.


This is the story of Sophie Dupont, daughter of a portrait painter. As we meet Sophie, she is in love with another artist, Wesley Overtree, who has abandoned her to pursue his art in Italy. Wesley's younger brother, Captain Steven Overtree, offers to marry Sophie to save her reputation.


More than just a love story, this is a tale of relationships, of family, of misunderstandings, and a little bit of mystery. The tale begins with a marriage of convenience, but develops into so much more. Fans of Jane Austen, and of the regency era, will particularly enjoy this one. One reviewer called it "deliciously spooky and sweetly romantic".


Author Julie Klassen is a Christy Award-winning writer of Christian fiction. This one did not disappoint. Give it a try. I think you'll be glad you did!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. As an Avid Reader I will certainly pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete