Thursday, January 25, 2018

A New Normal. The Journey Continues.

As I was checking my Facebook messages this morning, I was reminded that on this day last year I wrote a blog post titled "A New Normal". Since that time, a lot has changed. Many things in my life post-stroke continue to improve. But the fact remains that my "normal" has changed a lot in the last 14 months. One day life was normal. And then it wasn't. On that day in mid-November 2016 when I had a stroke, "normal" was forever changed.

Today I have much to celebrate. Today I have many reasons to give thanks. Today is a good day!

Back in November 2016, things were not so good. On this day, there were a lot of questions. Would I wake up? If I did wake up, would I be able to speak. Would I be able to use my hand. If I did wake up, exactly what would my life be like? I'm thankful that I was unaware of that, and even more thankful for all of the people who were praying for me on that day, and who continue to pray for me as my recovery continues.

Today I'm celebrating those prayers. Celebrating a faithful God who hears and answers prayer! Celebrating that not only did I wake up after what we have come to refer to as "the event", but I am healthy and happy and loving my life! Yes, my life has a new "normal", but life is good and I am so blessed!

I am still frequently asked if I am back to normal. I'm asked if I am "100%". The answer to that is "no", not 100%. Not "normal" as I used to know it. But still making progress!

To bring you up to date, and for those who are new to this journey, I regained the use of my right arm before I left the hospital, and after weeks of therapy I have regained most of my strength on that side. These days I'm able to participate in an exercise class several times a week, and do most physical activity. I no longer have double vision to contend with. And my speech (reading, writing, speaking) are pretty much "normal", at least most of the time. I still get words jumbled up, especially when I'm tired, and I sometimes get "stuck" on a word, but that part of my life is going very well.

My writing skills continue to improve. Throughout this process, I have had trouble understanding why it is so much easier for me to "write" on the computer keyboard than to use paper or my phone, but typing continues to be the method by which I am best able to communicate. My written communication continues to improve, although it is still a long way from what it once was. Whereas it was once easy for me to sit at the computer each morning and compose a blog for the day, most days my brain just won't put coherent thoughts together. Some days it works, and some days, not so much. That's my new normal.

Reading remains the most challenging. But I have made remarkable progress. This time last year, I could read short words and phrases, occasionally a paragraph or two, but it was a slow, painstaking process. I'm thankful that all my efforts in therapy yielded a good result! My therapist always used to remind me that it would take time, and that improvement would continue even after I finished my therapy. I confess that I didn't really believe her, but she was right!

There have been a couple of significant milestones recently. On Monday of this week, I went to lunch with several friends. On that day, for the first time since before the stroke, I was able to write my own tip. The bill was one of those that lists various tip amounts, but I was able to copy from that number onto the check, add the two numbers together correctly, and then sign the ticket. That is a major milestone. Anything to do with numbers has been a real problem for me, so this is a tremendous accomplishment!

Another milestone in my journey was joining the church choir a couple of weeks ago. I still can't play the piano at anything approaching the ability I had previously, but I enjoy playing a few simple hymns. (And I'm talking about very simple ones!) But music is such a part of my life that I wanted to try choir and see if I could do it. It's still really, really hard to read the words and the notes at the same time. And I'm exhausted by the time choir practice is over because my brain has to work so hard to get all the parts working at the same time. But, oh how I am loving being in choir again! How thankful I am to have regained at least some of this ability! No, it isn't what it once was, but  the "new normal" is so much better than I ever imagined it would be, and I am so thankful!

Life in the last 14 months has been challenging. And frustrating. And exhausting! But these have been months of great blessing and encouragement. Months that have grown my faith. That have blessed me beyond measure! And I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Yes, my "normal" has changed. But my God has not changed. And these months since my stroke have only deepened my love for Him. I am so grateful for all of you who have prayed for me and who continue to pray. You have blessed me beyond words!

As I reflect back, and as I think about my "new normal", I am so thankful! God has been so good to me, and I give Him all the glory for all He has done!

"Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name."
(Psalm 103:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment