Wednesday, December 27, 2017

12 Days at Bleakly Manor. A Book Review.

Several weeks ago I was indulging in one of my favorite pastimes, browsing through bookstores, when I came across this little book:




I loved the look of it. I loved that it had "Dickens" in the title. I was intrigued, so I bought the book, and settled into one of the cozy chairs with my cup of coffee in hand and begin reading. I was not disappointed!

12 Days at Bleakly Manor would make Agatha Christie proud. There is a love story, some humor, and a mystery to be solved. The characters are interesting, if a bit quirky, with names like Mr. Pocket, Madmoiselle Pretents, and Mr. Tallgrass. It almost sounds like the board game Clue, doesn't it?

The main characters are Clara Chapman and Benjamin Lane. Each of them, along with the other characters, has received an intriguing invitation to spend the 12 days of Christmas 1850 in an English manor house, with the promise of a reward if they stay the entire 12 days. Although none of the other characters has previously met, Clara and Benjamin were once engaged to be married, which complicates things a bit.

I had not previously read any of Michelle Griep's books, but I'm very glad I came across this one. If you're a fan of holiday tales, of the Victorian era, of English manor houses, or of mysteries, then I invite you to get a cup of tea or coffee, settle into your favorite chair, and enjoy this one. I think you'll be glad you did!

12 Days of Christmas at Bleakly Manor by Michelle Griep is book one in the Once Upon a Dickens Christmas series, and is available in paperback or for Kindle.






No comments:

Post a Comment