Thursday, November 16, 2017

Didn't See That Coming. One Year Later.

One year ago today I had a stroke. One year ago, life was normal. And then it wasn't.


This last year been quite a journey.


There was the time in the neuro-ICU, which I have no memory of.




There was thanksgiving dinner at Spartanburg Rehabilitation Institute, another thing I don't remember.






But things began to improve. My first clear memory came a few days after Thanksgiving. On that morning, I had a clear memory of a passage of scripture which I shared with Al and Brandon when they arrived that morning. "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee."


At that time, I couldn't speak clearly. I couldn't read. I couldn't write. I couldn't always understand what was being said to me. Even so, God brought this verse very clearly to my mind. It got me through those days in rehab, and through all the days since.


From that morning forward, I made steady progress.


Eventually, I traded my eye patch for a new pair of glasses.




I was able to teach Sunday School again, something I had never thought I would do again.





We even went on a cruise!



This has been quite a year! A year of challenges. A year of ups and downs. A year of frustrations and discouragements. A year of great joy.

This has been quite a learning experience.

Learning to talk again.

Learning to read and write again.

Learning that even on that days when I struggle with those things, and I still sometimes do, God is still good.

This has been a year of learning to trust.

A year of learning to deal with my limitations.

Of knowing that even though I have limitations, God is still God.

God is still in control.

God has a plan and a purpose for all things.

Even for strokes.

I may not understand (I don't!), but that's ok.

Because God is God and I am not.

Because even in the valley, God is still God and He is still good.

This has been a year of good days and bad days, of frustrating days, of encouraging days. It has been a year of learning and growing. It is an experience I certainly don't want to repeat, but I am thankful.

Thankful for all God has taught me, and is still teaching me, through this experience. Thankful for family and friends who have walked through this journey with me. Thankful for all the people who have prayed me through this experience.

I didn't see it coming. But it happened. And I survived.

I am a stroke survivor.

And it's all because of God's amazing grace.

"Now therefore, our God, we praise You, and praise Your glorious name."
1 Chronicles 29:13 NASB












No comments:

Post a Comment