Monday, August 7, 2017

Some Thoughts About Change

A lot has changed in my lifetime. A lot. And much of it has been a good thing. As an example, when my mother and I would go to Spartanburg to shop for school clothes back in the 1950s (because that was why you shopped then; shopping wasn't a recreational sport like it is now!), there were two sets of restrooms and two water fountains, one for white people and one for non-white ("colored", as they were known back then). If you have seen the movie "The Help", or if you lived through that era, then you know what I mean. It isn't that way any more. Things have changed. And that's a good thing.


I remember when we didn't have a television. We got a television when I was 4 or 5 hears old. And we had only one telephone. Gasp!!!! But back then, television was a new thing and not everybody had one. My parents didn't have color television until the 70s.

I remember life without computers and cell phones and I-pads and all these technologies we can't seem to live without now. Life was a lot simpler then. And while it is wonderful to be able to access all this information on the web, and communicate any time of day or night with anyone nearly anywhere, I'm not sure that having our lives so controlled by all this technology is entirely a good thing.


I have seen change in nearly every area of life. Music has changed. Fashion has changed. Schools have changed. Even in social media, we often find that things have changed and the way we were accustomed to doing something has changed overnight while we were sleeping. Some changes have been good, but I would submit to you that not all change is good. Sometimes it's just different.
 

My bank recently changed the on-line banking system. They announced that this would make everything "better". Instead, it is a system that is much harder to navigate and much less user friendly. Unfortunately, that seem to be the new normal.


Change just for the sake of change makes no sense to me. Call me old-fashioned. I don't mind! But I belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school.


Change is inevitable in life. I am not so naive as to deny that truth. I have lived long enough to know it to be so. But I don't have to always like it, do I?!


Through it all, I'm thankful that not everything changes. And as life continues to change, and not always for the better, it's this truth I'm holding on to........"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  (Hebrews 13:8  HCSB)



No comments:

Post a Comment