Monday, March 27, 2017

So Many Reasons

This morning began as another gray, gloomy day. But now the sun is shining and the birds are singing! Definitely a reason for being thankful.

This morning I have already walked more than 2000 steps, according to my Fitbit, just back and forth around the house doing the usual Monday morning things. Another reason for being thankful!  On this day one year ago, I could barely walk at all as I was waiting for knee replacement surgery the following day.

A few days ago I had my one-year checkup for my replacement knee and received an excellent report from the orthopedist. Such a good report that I don't need to have it checked again for five years!  That's another reason for being thankful!

This morning I did some simple addition and subtraction, and I did it correctly! That is a huge reason for being thankful! You may not be aware that since my stroke, anything to do with numbers has been a huge challenge for me, and even basic addition and subtraction was not something I was able to without a calculator. Even then, it was a struggle. But this morning I did it! Yes, it was very simple math. But I did it! And I am so thankful!

I'm so thankful for the therapists who have helped me through this challenging period in my life - the physical therapists and the occupational therapists, and most especially, my speech therapists. Deb, my therapist when I was an in-patient, and Julie, who I'm working with in outpatient therapy, are definitely two reasons for giving thanks this morning. When I think back on those days when I couldn't read or write or communicate, I am overwhelmed when I think about how far I have come. Thank you, Deb and Julie! Thank you, God!

So many people who have strokes don't have good outcomes. I'm reminded of that every time I go to therapy. And I am reminded how blessed I am and how good God has been to me!

Every day is a precious gift! I would like to be able to tell you that I never whine or complain, but that wouldn't be honest. But what I can tell you is that I whine a lot less than I used to in my "previous life"! One of the great blessings of this experience is realizing that ever day is a gift!

Even the less-than-I-would-like-them-to-be things about life are gifts. Aches and pains. A snoring husband. A neighbors loud car. All these are reminders that I can feel and I can hear. When I'm tired, it's a reminder that I am able to do the things that make me tired in the first place. All these things are precious gifts. The good things. The challenging things.

And I am so thankful!


"In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
(1 Thessalonians 5:18 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment