Monday, January 2, 2017

Perfect Peace

Happy New Year!

The New Year is a good time for some pondering. If you've been reading these posts for any length of time, you may remember that "pondering" is one of my favorite things. This habit of "pondering" comes from one of my favorite lines in one of my favorite hymns.

The German hymn from the 1600s, Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, contains this phrase: ponder anew what the Almighty can do.

In these last few weeks I have been doing a lot of "pondering". I have spent a lot of time pondering what God has done in my life. Almost 7 weeks have gone by since I had my stroke. There is still much I don't remember. And there are many things I struggle with on a daily basis. But there are so many things I can do now that I never thought I would be able to do again. And those are the things I have been pondering. God has been so good to me! When I ponder how far I have come, I am overwhelmed!

As I ponder all He has done and all He is able to do, I am reminded of a particular memory when I was in rehab. One Sunday morning when I was waiting to be taken to breakfast, a very clear memory came to my mind. At that time, nothing was very clear in my mind and making clear sentences was a real struggle. Even so, this memory was crystal clear.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee." (Isaiah 24:3)

Although I didn't remember the reference, I remembered those words, and I repeated that verse over and over during my days in rehab. I still call that verse to mind over and over, especially on days that are frustrating or difficult, as some days are. There have been other days that the Lord has brought to my mind that have encouraged me during this journey, but it was this verse from Isaiah that was the first one I remembered, and it is this verse that I have turned to most often.

I have a long journey ahead as I learn to read and write again. I still struggle when I can't do the things I love to do must, and as I try to be patient. Yet even in the midst of the struggles, I am at peace, because I know that God is in control. I know that God has a plan and a purpose, and I trust him. Because I trust Him, and because I have fixed my mind on Him, am at peace.


"For all You done I will thank you,
for all You are going to do,
For all You have promised and all that You are,
Is all that has carried me through.
Jesus, I thank You.
(Hillsong)


1 comment:

  1. My sister and friend, It's great to see you back online sharing what God is teaching you and reminding you of. It's amazing that the Word He's written on our hearts is what we always come back to, remembering His faithfulness. Our great God is healing you to continue to bring Him spectacular glory and to live mightily through your struggles and victories. Keep pressing on, sweet friend. Much love and blessings, ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete