Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Luther and Katharina: A Book Review

Luther and Katharina by Jody Hedlund is one of my new favorite books.  In fact, I enjoyed this book so much more than I thought I would!  I love historical fiction, although the 1500s is not a time period I have spent much time in.  But I was intrigued to read about the love story between Martin Luther and Katharine von Bora, and I was not disappointed!  This was one of those books that you just can't put down.

The year is 1523.  The story begins with a group of nuns escaping the convent where they have spent most of their lives.  The escape is in response to the writings of Martin Luther which have been smuggled into the convent.

This book give amazing detail about the beginnings of the Reformation.  It is sometimes hard to read, as it is often very graphic about the persecution endured by those who opposed the Catholic Church and its practices during that time period.  It is certainly not as graphic as most television shows these days, but does go into great detail.

Woven into the history of the Reformation is the love story between the noble-born Katharina von Bora and the commoner Martin Luther.  The attraction is there from the time they meet, although both resist it.  Theirs is a beautiful love story, beautifully told.

I loved the historical accuracy of this book.  I loved that we see all the characters - Martin, Katharina, the Abbott - as they really were, without glossing over their faults.  Katharina is often headstrong and prideful.  Martin deals with depression.  The Abbott is arrogant and vindictive.  There's no attempt to gloss over the humanity of any of the characters or to make them more than they were.

History.  Adventure.  Love.  Joy.  Heartbreak. Deception.  Intrigue.  All these elements are found in this beautiful telling of the love story of Martin Luther and Katharina von Bora.

I loved this book.  It's one I could read again and again.

And I recommend you read it.  I think you'll be glad you did!

Thank you, Blogging for Books, for a free copy of this book in exchange for my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment