Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A Disaster in the Kitchen

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong.  I used the same recipe I have used for years.  The never-fail recipe.  Except this time it was an epic fail!  How can a simple thing like oatmeal cookies go so wrong?

Once upon a time I thought of myself as a good baker.  I've always enjoyed baking, and for the most part, had good results for my efforts.  I'm not sure what went wrong this time.  Did I leave something out?  Did I measure an ingredient incorrectly?  I don't know.  What I do know is that those cookies were destined for the garbage can!  At least they were until Al declared that he liked them, and they became his private stash.  I still think they are a disaster! And once again I find myself quoting that great Scottish poet Robert Burns.....the best laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.

Certainly my plan for several dozen delicious white chocolate and cranberry oatmeal cookies went awry. I won't even post a picture.....they are that bad!  Ugliest cookies ever.  An absolute disaster!

Thankfully, when God has a plan, it works.  He had a plan to save the world.  A plan that included a virgin named Mary and a man named Joseph.  A plan that included sending the Son of God to be born as a baby in a manger in a little town called Bethlehem. 

It seems like a strange plan.  But, unlike my plan for oatmeal cookies, that plan works!

"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.  And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!' So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."  (Galatians 4:6-7 ESV)


Listen to "A Strange Way to Save the World" here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCVIJBB7o4

No comments:

Post a Comment