Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Phone Call

We were on our way to church Sunday morning when we got "the phone call."  The Granny-fell-and-broke-her-hip phone call.  In fact, we had just left the Cracker Barrel and were getting back on the highway when the phone rang.

So, change of plans.  Instead of being on our way to church, we were on our way to Columbia.  By the time we had arrived, Granny was no longer in the Emergency Room, but had been admitted to the hospital.  We spent the next several hours waiting.  And waiting.  And then we waited some more.

Eventually she was taken off to surgery for a partial hip replacement.  Falling and breaking bones is not uncommon for people who are 90 years old.  But broken bones and major surgery are certainly risky for people of that age.  Especially for people with memory issues.  However, the benefit outweighed the risk, and off to surgery she went.

I am happy to report that surgery went well and that Granny is recovering nicely.  So far everything is just as it should be.  And we are all so very grateful.

That phone call brought back memories of other phone calls.  The call that my mother was not expected to make it through the week.  The call that my daddy had died.  Those kind of calls. Thankfully, this was not one of those.  But this call certainly changed our plans for the day.  And for the week.

Sunday was a very long day.  Very long.  We finally got back home just before midnight. 

And Sunday was also a reminder that I'm not as young as I used to be.  I may be "fearfully and wonderfully made", but I don't think I was made for 19-hour days!

"For you formed my inward parts, you knitted me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."  (Psalm 139:13-15 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment