Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Change of Plans

I had been looking forward to today.  It was time for the semi-annual trip to Pigeon Forge to meet up with my good friend Jean.  Shopping and girlfriend time are always a good combination!

I had planned to get a head start on some Christmas shopping. And maybe buy another coffee mug at Old Mill Pottery. And check out the fall fashions.  And see what bargains I could find.

I always look forward to these trips.  The shopping is always fun.  And there's great value in shopping with a friend who will not let you buy something that doesn't look good on you, no matter how much you might like it!  But even more than the shopping, I look forward to the girlfriend time.  Good conversation.  Catching up.  Encouraging one another.  That's the best part of the trip.

But our plans had to be changed.  Sigh.  Jean is having some car trouble, so the drive from her home near Chattanooga was not a good idea.  Once the car issues are resolved, we'll reschedule.  So there's something to look forward to.

In the meantime I have two days with nothing planned.  Because my plans have changed.

How shall I handle it?  What shall I do?

I could just have a pity party because I didn't get to do what I wanted to.  But that would be a little silly, wouldn't it?  (Although don't we often do exactly that when we don't get what we want?)

I could use this as an excuse to just waste away the next two days......because, after all, I hadn't planned to be available to do anything productive anyway!  I could read and drink coffee and watch mindless television or movies.  Just do nothing.

I could catch up on some of the things on my to-do list.  Clean out a closet.  Clean out the pantry.  Something like that.  Although, frankly, that's not nearly as appealing as just wasting away the day!

Or I could use the time to catch up on my Bible study.  I've gotten a little behind on my Esther study.  And we began a new study at church last Sunday.  Our church is studying "The Story" for the next 31 weeks.  Since we were at the beach last weekend, I missed the first lesson and the pastor's first message.  Today would be a good day for catching up with that.  And since it's a beautiful fall day, I could do that on the front porch. 

It's cool today, but not cold, so I think I'll take advantage of this beautiful day and do my Bible study on the porch.  Even though fall has officially just arrived, winter is not that far away, and there will be no sitting on the front porch when it gets here!

So, I have a plan.  The Story.......listening to the podcast of last Sunday's lesson, and then reading ahead to next Sunday's lesson.  And then catching up with Esther.

I think I have just filled up these two days that I thought would be empty.  I'll miss the time with Jean.  But I'm looking forward to this study time, and to what the Lord will teach me as I spend time in His word. 

Maybe a change of plans isn't such a bad thing after all!

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand."  (Proverbs 19:21 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment