Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lessons from a Bear

On Tuesday afternoon when I was cutting Al's hair, my peripheral vision caught movement out the window.  When I turned to look, I saw something black go past the window across the carport.  My first thoughts were something like "why is a black garbage bag blowing across the carport; where did it come from; the wind isn't even blowing." 

Since Al's car was blocking further view of this black object, I had no real idea what I had seen until the "object" turned around and I saw a brown nose coming from behind the car.  The brown nose was attached to a black bear!  It was not a very big bear, but it was a bear nonetheless.

Al wanted to get a picture.  But because we were still in the process of moving back home and not everything had yet been returned to its right place, finding the camera was much more of a challenge than it should have been.  I watched the bear's progress up the driveway while Al searched for the camera.  By the time he found it, the photo opportunity was lost.  As he opened the back door, the sound of the door frightened the bear, who then ran back into the woods.

Having wildlife around is not particularly unusual.  We did, after all, build a house right in the middle of their environment.  Raccoons and chipmunks are regular visitors to our front porch.  Wild turkey and deer often roam through the yard.  We often hear coyotes and cougars howling in the woods.  And this is not the first bear who has come calling.

The bear's visit was, however, a good reminder.  A reminder that I do live in the woods and that I need to be careful.  That I don't need to take the dog out after dark.  That I need to pay attention.  That I need always to be alert to my surroundings.

That's good advice for any of us.  And not only as concerns our physical surroundings.  We need to be on the alert spiritually as well.  We find this admonition over and over in Scripture.  I read it twice this morning in Acts chapter 20......."Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock..." (verse 28);"Therefore be on the alert"....(verse 31). 

And what about this verse:  "Be on the alert.  Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."  (1 Peter 5:8 NASB).

Kind of reminds me of that bear.  Prowling around.  When we aren't looking for him and don't expect him, there he is.  That's why we need to be alert.  We need to be on guard.  We need to pay attention.

Because he is our adversary.  He has an agenda.  "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy."  (John 10:10a)

But here's the good news from the rest of that verse.  John 10:10b says, "I (Jesus) came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."

Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment