Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Finally Home

Back in the spring, shortly after Easter, my husband and I packed our bags and relocated to Columbia, SC for what we expected to be a three - at most, four - week extended visit with his parents while his dad had knee replacement surgery and the rehab that would follow.  Little did we know then that the few weeks would turn into a few months!  And now.....some four and a half months later.....we are finally home.

If you have followed our journey, you know that the surgery went well but the rehab took longer than expected.  You also are aware that the journey included the care of Al's mom whose Alzheimer's has worsened dramatically over these few months.  These have been challenging months, to say the least.

And now we're home. Finally home. We had a brief respite in July when we returned home to rest a little and enjoy some family time with sons and grandsons.  How very glad I am to be finally home!

It was wonderful to sleep in my own bed!  To be in my own shower!  To have coffee out of my own coffee pot!  In my own favorite coffee mug!  I loved the coolness of a mountain morning after months of the oppressive heat and humidity that are part of summer in "famously hot" Columbia, SC!  It's the little things, isn't it??!!

But even as I'm enjoying being home again, my thoughts are also turning toward the day when I am truly "finally home".  As much as I am loving being home again here, how much greater will be my joy on that day when I am truly "finally home". 

I'm looking forward to that day.......the day about which Jesus spoke when He said, "In my Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."  (John 14:2-3 NASB).

That day when "we shall always be with the Lord."  (1 Thess. 4:17b NASB)

I'm looking forward to that day......to being finally home.

 
But just think of stepping on shore-And finding it Heaven!
Of touching a hand-And finding it God's!
Of breathing new air-And finding it celestial!
Of waking up in glory-And finding it home!

(Don Wyrtzen)

1 comment:

  1. Susan, as always, ewe shared a piece of my heart. I can so relate to being "finally home" whether it was after caring for parents or even wonderful weeks of travel for pleasure. We've had many places to live over 43 years in several states and overseas, but we made each one our "home."
    When I saw the title of your post, I knew it had to be my "mostest" favorite song and becoming more and more so the closer we get to being "Finally Home!" I have several versions of it on a CD with the other songs I would like at my funeral. Our pastor son knows to look in the safe for those requests when that day comes.
    Grateful to ewe for using your writing gift to transparently share your heart. Always challenges me pause and ponder.

    ReplyDelete