Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Press On

Many years ago, when I was a young church pianist, our church called a new Minister of Music.  That's when I first met Rev. Lloyd Brewer.  Over the years I served that church, Lloyd was such an encourager to me!  I learned so much from him during those years, and in later years as I was serving other churches and when I would call him with a question or to borrow music, he continued to offer encouragement and support.

A couple of weeks ago Lloyd was hospitalized.  So many of us had been praying for him to get better, to open his eyes.  Yesterday he opened his eyes in the presence of His Savior.  Lloyd loved the Lord, he loved his family, and he loved people.  As I have followed the FB posts of his family and friends over the last couple of weeks, I have seen that he was still the loving, encouraging person I first met all those years ago.

Lloyd was one of the most gifted musicians I have ever known.  I loved to listen to - and watch - him play the piano.  Years ago at Trinity Baptist Church, before the construction of the current sanctuary, when our services were held in the original sanctuary, the piano was in a "box" at the end of the choir loft and behind the pastor's pulpit.  When Lloyd would play, I would move from the piano bench to my chair in the corner and watch with delight as his fingers ran up and down the keyboard!

I have so many wonderful memories from those years, but one of my favorites is from early in our years working together.  The church was celebrating an anniversary, and Lloyd was leading the choir in presenting the musical "Press On".  I can still see Lloyd...with great joy on his face.....with his arms in motion as he directed us.....occasionally pushing his glasses back up after they slid down his nose.  To this day, "Press On" remains one of my favorite songs!

So many of my favorite choral anthems date back to those days......especially one of my all-time favorites ("Holy Is He") and the anthem we often used to begin the service...."Come, Praise the Lord with Me!" which became the basis for my later ministry as a church music minister......"O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together (Psalm 34:3 NASB).

Today I'm remembering Lloyd.  I'm grieving with and for his dear family.  And I'm thankful that we who belong to Jesus do not grieve as those who have no hope, "for if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus......then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus shall we always be with the Lord."  (see 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 NASB).

But.....we still grieve.  Lloyd's family......his wife, his children, his precious grandson, his extended family.....and all of us who knew and loved him, are grieving.  We mourn his passing.  He will be greatly missed in this life.  All of us who have lost loved ones know this all too well.  So I ask you to join me - whether you knew Lloyd or not - in lifting his dear family to our loving Heavenly Father, asking that He will comfort and strengthen them during these difficult days and in the days to come, as they adjust to life without Lloyd.

In the meantime......we "press on".......

When the valley is deep,
When the mountain is steep,
When the body is weary,
When we stumble and fall,
When the choices are hard,
When we're battered and scarred,
When we've spent our resources,
When we've given our all....

Chorus:
In Jesus' name, we press on.
In Jesus' name, we press on.
Dear Lord, with the prize
Clear before our eyes
We find the strength to press on.
(Dan Burgess)

 






No comments:

Post a Comment