Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Pausing for Personal Reflection

I had every intention this morning of moving on to the next section of Psalm 119, but I find I can't do that yet.  I keep coming back to that word "wonderful"......
           "your testimonies are wonderful" (Psalm 119:129)......
I keep turning that word, that phrase over and over in my mind.
I'm reminded of so many things that are "wonderful"......God's Word, just as the psalmist says here.....but also the fact that I can hold His Word in my hand.  That I have multiple copies of the Scriptures at my disposal.  That I am free to read, to study, to share God's Word.  That I have multiple study tools available to me, both in my personal library and through the internet.  That it is a "wonderful" thing that God has revealed Himself to us through His Word.  That this Word is "living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12).

I also find myself going to an opposite thought.....how sad it is, how it grieves me that so many - even of those who call themselves Christian - don't choose to spend time in God's Word.  That so many - even in the Christian community - are too busy, or don't think it is necessary, or don't have God's Word as a priority.  That not only do they not study the Word, they rarely even read it!  It grieves me.  I wonder what I can do to make a difference in this area? 

I'm also drawn back to a phrase we looked at a few days ago....."I esteem right all Your precepts concerning everything; I hate every false way."  And I wonder......if I hold every activity, every thought, every attitude, every choice up against that standard......would it really reflect that I esteem right ALL God's precepts, that I hate EVERY false way.  So, I'm camping out here for a bit.  Rather than put my head down and continue running forward through the Psalm, much like a football player trying to cross the goal line, I need to rest here for a bit and reflect.  I need to spend some time in the "application" phase of inductive study concerning this phrase.

What about you?  Has there been a verse, a phrase, a stanza that has tugged at your heart strings?  Why not go back and rest there a bit, listening carefully for what God has to say to you. 

"Deal with Your servant acording to Your lovingkindness and teach me Your statutes."
                                                                                                                             (Psalm 119:124)

No comments:

Post a Comment