Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Baggage

We had a wonderful vacation, but it's good to be home.  Except for unpacking the suitcases.  And doing all the laundry.  And trying to find a place for all the stuff we accumulated on the trip.  And emptying all the tote bags of stuff we took with us but didn't need.  We do it every time.  I had a tote bag full of books.....several options, in case I started one and didn't like it!  But who reads when they are vacationing at Disney World??  So, I have a tote bag of the books I took with me, plus the ones I bought while I was there!  It's a compulsion....I confess it!  I can't help myself.

As I was looking at all this "stuff". this morning.....all the clothes we took along but didn't wear, all the dirty clothes we brought home, all the stuff we bought while we (I!!!!) was out shopping.......all this "baggage", and wondering where to begin, I was reminded of a verse in Hebrews.  Now before you get your knickers in a twist that I am taking a verse out of context, be assured that I realize the passage is NOT referring to my vacation luggage but I do think this is a good illustration.  Here's the verse......

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and teh sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus....."  (Hebrews 12:1-2a)

I feel certain that if I were running a literal, physical race, I wouldn't carry all this baggage along.  If I had to walk from point A to point B, I would only take essentials with me.  If I had been a pioneer woman crossing this great country in a covered wagon, I'm sure I wouldn't have been taking so many "extras" along for the journey.  But it seems I never learn.....no matter how good my intentions to "pack light", I still manage to travel with too much stuff!

The lesson is so much more important in the spiritual realm.  We are running a race......a marathon called "life".....the race that God has set before us.  How important it is that we don't carry a lot of extra, unneeded baggage along this journey.  Maybe our baggage is bad memories, or guilt over a previous behavior......each of individually has to identify and deal with our own baggage.  What excess baggage are you carrying around on your journey?  Isn't it time to  "lay it aside" so that you can "run with endurance" the race set before you?
Something to think about today.

We'll resume our journey through Psalm 119 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment