Thursday, December 3, 2009

Some Thoughts about Thanksgiving, Grandchildren and God's Grace

Thanksgiving weekend is now history.....and what a wonderful weekend it was! The house was full of people, lots of laughter, good food, great memories! It was so much fun to see AJ and Christopher playing together. Of course, for a not-exactly-mobile person such as I am right now, having the floor covered with toys presented some interesting challenges. I am happy to report that there were no stumbles, and all the army men are now safely back in their plastic container until the next visit, all the legos are safely put away, and all the pieces of the board games are in the correct boxes!

Watching AJ and Christopher together is like a trip down memory lane for me. They are both so very much like their dads that I could almost believe I have been transported back in time.....at least until Brian and Brandon come into the room! Interesting how they are so very much alike yet at the same time so very different. I find myself chuckling (very quietly, mind you!) when I hear Brian and Brandon saying to their sons some of the very same things Al and I said to them not so very many years ago. And I think that, in spite of the many mistakes I made as a parent, I must have gotten a few things right!

AJ and Christopher are both such precious little boys. Not perfect, but precious. And so very loved by their Nana and Opa. I think this may be a good illustration of God's grace toward us. He doesn't love us because we're perfect, because we always get everything right. Rather, His love toward us is in spite of the fact that we aren't perfect, that we don't always make good choices, that more often than we care to admit we make poor choices. Yet His love never stops. Just as my love for my sons and my grandsons doesn't stop when they "mess up", how much more this is true of God's love for us. Because we're not perfect......but we are precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment