Monday, November 21, 2022

What's On Your Tree?

It's Thanksgiving Week! Just a few days away from Thanksgiving Day. What are your Thanksgiving Day traditions?

For many, the day includes turkey and pumpkin pie, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce.  It may include watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade while the food cooks. Football may be a regular part of the day's festivities, whether watching a game (or two or three) on television, or getting family and friends together to play a game in the front yard. 
 
In recent years I've been hearing more and more about including a Thankful Tree in the Thanksgiving celebrations. I found this particular Thankful Tree on Pinterest, where there are many versions of Thankful Trees if you're looking for inspiration to begin your own tradition. 

I love the idea of a Thankful Tree! It's a great opportunity for you and your family members to write down the things you're thankful for, whether you write on construction paper leaves or on Post-Its or on scraps of paper, and then decorate your tree with your "thanksgivings".  And that means you actually have to take time to think about all the reasons you have for being thankful!

We will be spending a quiet Thanksgiving here at home, just the two of us, so I haven't done a lot of Thanksgiving decorating. I'm saving my energy for Christmas decorations, anticipating a Christmas surrounded by family. Since that's the case, Al and I will be talking with each other about all the reasons we have to be thankful, rather than decorating a Thankful Tree.

If I had a Thankful Tree, I would certainly give thanks for being able to call myself a Stroke Survivor. But the first thankful I would list is Jesus!

My heart overflows with thanksgiving for my Savior! That He loves me. That He died for me, so that I might have an eternal relationship with the Father through Him. That He was willing to pay that sacrifice for me. That He died so I might live.

He did all that, and so much more, not because I did anything to deserve it, but in spite of the fact that there is nothing in me deserving of such grace.

And He continues to love me. Not because I deserve it. In spite of the fact that I don't. Even when I'm unlovable. Even when I mess up. Even when I lose my temper or say things I shouldn't or I'm unkind or I'm irritable or impatient. Even then.

I am overwhelmed by such love. Such mercy. Such grace.

"But God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  (Romans 5:8 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment