Monday, November 7, 2022

Some Thoughts About Election Day


Tomorrow is Election Day. For that I am thankful. Thankful for the process, but also thankful it will bring an end to incessant political commercials, phone calls, and texts!

I'm thankful for the privilege of voting. Voting is a privilege denied to many around the world, a privilege many around the world only dream of.

We are blessed in this country to have this privilege. To be free to go to the polls. To voice our opinions through our ballot choices.

I’m thankful for the founders of this country. Thankful for their wisdom in designing this system. And I'm thankful for the men and women who, for more than two hundred years, have fought and died so that we might continue to have the privilege of voting. Let's not take it for granted.

Beyond the privilege of voting, I am thankful today that no matter what the results of this election may be, God is still God. God is still in control. God is still sovereign. We need to cling to those truths.

Elections have become a very contentious process. Because that is true, I'm thankful for the Word of God. Thankful for its truths to cling to even in the midst of stress and weariness over this election season.

I'm thankful today for these words that remind me Who is in control:

"Daniel said, 'Let the name of God be blessed forever and ever, for wisdom and power belong to Him. It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men and knowledge to men of understanding. It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:20-22 NASB)

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear." (Psalm 46:1-2 NASB)

"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:10 NASB)

Especially today, how thankful I am for these words of truth! How thankful I am that, no matter what happens tomorrow, the sun will come up on Wednesday. God will still be God, and God will still be in control.

Today, may we rest in that truth. May we keep our eyes on Him. May we vote. May we continue to pray. And may we be still - cease striving - and know that He is God.

"For we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us, nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You." (2 Chronicles 20:12 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment