Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Wednesday Ramblings

Last week we had our furnace checked to be sure it’s ready for winter. While the serviceman was here, my husband asked him to check our gas logs. They would light, but then would go out again in about 2-3 minutes. (There’s a thought for some consideration, but that’s not where my rambling mind is going today.)

Since the HVAC serviceman couldn’t determine the gas log problem, we called in another serviceman, this one for gas-related things (fireplaces, stoves, etc.). He quickly diagnosed and fixed the problem. For which I am very thankful, since we woke up to 29 degrees here this morning! Of course, I could have turned on the furnace, but I don’t want to do that yet since I know it won’t stay cold for long. That’s not how we do things here in South Carolina in October!

I told you I was rambling today! Back to the gas logs. Watching this serviceman on Monday triggered a memory of the day these logs were installed to replace the old, not working well, logs that were here when we bought the house. I remember noticing the installer looking on each piece of "log" for a number. Each of the pieces was numbered, so that they were placed in proper order. The logs aren't just thrown into the fireplace in some random order, but there's a proper order and proper placement for each of them, all of which is outlined in the instruction manual.

There are a number of lessons from those logs, but today I’ll focus on just this one. It occurs to me that this gas log instruction manual is much like life. The instruction manual for life is the Word of God.  When we follow the instruction manual, things in life fit together as they are designed to do. That's the way God intended it to be. But when we try to deviate from His plan, things in life can get a little chaotic.  If you doubt that, just look around at the chaos of the world we are living in.

We live in a world which is more and more, day by day, turning its back on God and His ways. Even many who call themselves Christian live by principles other than those outlined in the Scripture. For many, the reason is simply this. They don’t know what the Word says because they don't spend much time there.

The gas logs installer read and followed the instructions in order to properly install our new gas logs.

We must read and study and obey our instruction manual in order to properly live life God's way.

"How can a young man keep his way pure?  By keeping it according to Your word.  With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your commandments.  Your word have I treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."  (Psalm 119:9-11, 105 NASB)




No comments:

Post a Comment