Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The Gift of Today

It’s a beautiful morning here in the Upstate of South Carolina. Sunshine. Blue skies. A perfect fall day! What a gift!

But even if it were gray and gloomy and cold, this day would still be a gift. Because every day is a gift!

To be honest, I haven’t always had that perspective. I’m sure that, theoretically, I realized that every day was a gift from God. But practically speaking, I didn’t always have that attitude. However, my attitude changed dramatically a few years ago.

For those of you who don’t know, I am a stroke survivor. And once I became responsive again, and aware of what was going on around me, I began to see each day as a gift……the gift I could have missed. My new lease on life has given me a new perspective. A realization that we take too much in this life for granted. We expect to wake up every morning. We expect things to go as we have planned them. We expect all our appliances and devices will work properly. That all our friends will be friendly. That life will go according to plan.

But the reality is - and certainly my reality was - that doesn’t always happen. I never expected to have a stroke. I never expected to find myself in a rehab facility and wondering how I got there, because I couldn’t remember any of the events that had landed me there. I never expected to have to learn to walk and talk and read and write again. But I did. Because God gave me the gift of another day of life.

Since 2016, I have a deliberate awareness that each day is a gift. Today is a gift. 

Every day will not be a good day. In fact, my day got off to a rough start, not at all the way I had it planned. Even so, it is a good day. Because God has allowed me to see this day. To live for him today.

So today I bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me blesses His holy name. (Psalm 103)

On the good days, Bless the Lord, O my soul.

On the bad days, Bless the Lord, O my soul.

On all the in between days, Bless the Lord, O my soul.

When life is good. And when it isn’t. 

In plenty. And in want.

In sunshine. And in rain.

When life goes according to plan. And when it doesn’t.

Bless the Lord.

Does that mean the bad stuff will suddenly turn to good. No, of course not. That would mean we are trying to manipulate God. I’m not suggesting a non-heartfelt mantra. I am suggesting that we view life as what it is. A gift to us from a loving and gracious God who sees the end from the beginning, who is sovereign, who knows what is best, and who has a plan and purpose that is for our good and His glory.

Will we always understand everything that happens in this life? Of course not. Even so, every day is a gift from God. Let’s remember to be thankful for it!

“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights.” (James 1:17)

1 comment: