Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Thankful for Exercise?

Exercise has never been my favorite. Never, in my entire life, has anyone considered me remotely athletic. Some years ago, my doctor asked if I was still active. I laughed.

This morning I went to my twice-a-week exercise class. I didn’t particularly want to go this morning, but I went anyway. And I’m glad I did. 

In these last few years, I have come to view this exercise class as one of the things I am most thankful for. You might wonder why. 

It’s because I can!

Not so very long ago, I couldn’t. I could barely walk, much less bend and stretch and lift weights. But as I moved from stroke recovery to stroke survivor, I began attending this class. Because it was good for me. And that is still my motivation.

But beyond that, it is something I’m thankful for. I’m thankful that a lot of the exercises are easier than they were in the beginning. I’m thankful that I’m stronger than I was. I’m thankful for the way it challenges me.

Beyond that, I’m thankful for the women in the class. For the fellowship and the laughter. For the friend who drives me there, since I can’t do that myself. I’m thankful for new friends I’ve met.

I’m thankful. Even for exercise!

What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment