Friday, September 16, 2016

One Little Blister

I haven't done very much walking this week. Except for walking laps around the church dining hall on Monday night while we were waiting for time to serve dinner to the senior adults, I haven't walked at all. I had gotten off to a slow start on Monday morning, so I was glad to have time to do those laps on Monday evening. Other than that, I haven't been able to get any walking in. And I actually find myself missing it!

My lack of walking has been partly due to some sinus congestion. This has been a rough week on that front, but I probably could have managed some walking if that had been the only problem. The real reason for not walking is a blister on my right heel. I wore some fairly new shoes to church last Sunday, and they irritated my heels a little bit, particularly the right heel. All those laps around the dining hall on Monday turned that irritation into a blister. And that little blister has kept me from my morning walks.

I'm a little bit paranoid when it comes to blisters. During the first week of classes my senior year in college, my new shoes rubbed blisters on both my heels. Those were large, ugly blisters, and they both got infected. As a result, I began my senior year with a stay in the college infirmary. Ever since, even the thought of a blister causes me to panic a little!

I've taken extra care with my little blister this week. Around the house, I've only been wearing sandals or slippers. When I go out, there's Band-Aid around my heel to protect it. The blister is getting better, but it still hasn't completely healed. So, no walking again today. Sigh.

There's a lesson to be learned from this little blister. Little irritations can have big consequences.

A little drip from the faucet, if ignored, can lead to a big water bill. A little extra to eat at each meal, or in between, can lead to a bigger number on the scale. Spending a little more each month than you actually have can lead to big financial challenges. A little misunderstanding can lead to a big disagreement which can easily escalate to a broken relationship. A little irritation on your heel can lead to a big, painful blister.

That's why little things need to be dealt with while they are still little things. That is what wise Solomon was talking about when he wrote, "Catch the foxes for us, the little foxes that are ruining the vineyard." (Song of Solomon 2:15 NASB)

Do you have any little irritations in your life that need to be dealt with? Don't wait until your little things become big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment