Saturday, September 17, 2016

Diary of a Knee Replacement: A Reaction

On Thursday I had my first dental appointment since having my knee replaced a few months ago. One of the realities of having an artificial joint is taking antibiotics before dental procedures, so on Thursday morning I dutifully swallowed my three Clindamycin capsules and went to have my teeth cleaned.

When I was leaving the dentist's office I noticed that my skin felt tight and "funny" around my mouth, but I just thought that was because I had sat with my mouth open for so long. Later that day I noticed the tightness to a greater degree, but didn't really think much about it. Until I got up yesterday morning.

As I woke up yesterday morning I noticed that my face felt really tight. I wondered if maybe I had forgotten to put moisturizer on after I had washed my face on Thursday night, but I didn't see how that could have happened, since putting moisturizer on my dry skin is almost as automatic for me as breathing. Then I looked in the mirror. Oh. My. Word.

My face was bright red. I had white bumps all across my forehead. And my face was swelled up like I had just had a bad Botox injection! Since the only thing different in my life was those three Clindamycin capsules, it was quickly concluded that I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. Needless to say, I won't be taking any more Clindamycin!

That's the bad news. The good news is I'm not as puffy-faced today as I was yesterday. My face is just splotchy red instead of cherry-red all over. I still have those white bumps, but not as many. The Benadryl the doctor prescribed seems to be doing the job.

I'm thankful that a red, swollen face was the only problem. Thankful my breathing was not affected. Thankful my throat didn't swell shut. This was, and is, a big aggravation, but thankfully, not life-threatening.

Oh, the joys of joint replacement!

"In everything give thanks: for this is God's will for you
in Christ Jesus."    (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment