Wednesday, May 11, 2016

How Much?

 
I love Thee, I love Thee, I love Thee, my Lord;
I love Thee, my Savior, I love Thee, my God.
I love Thee, I love Thee, and that Thou dost know;
But how much I love Thee my actions will show.
(words and music: anonymous, from Jeremiah Ingalls' Christian Harmony)
 
 
I haven't been able to get this hymn out of my mind for several days now.  My friend Rg wrote about a line from this hymn in his blog a couple of days ago.  His blog is all about hymn lines; you should check it out (www.hymnlines.blogspot.com).
 
It's the last line of the first verse of this hymn that I can't let go of.  But how much I love Thee my actions will show.
 
Saying that we love the Lord is an easy thing to do.  Of course we say that.  Even the most nominal of Christians would likely say that. 
 
But beyond our words, what do our actions say?
 
Think back over this last week.  Or even just think about yesterday.  What was there in your behavior or your conversation that gave evidence that you love the Lord?
 
Or did you perhaps give evidence of something else?
 
We don't sing this hymn much any more, but I remember singing it frequently as a child in my small-town Baptist church.  I loved it then.  I love it now.  And I'm challenged by it.
 
Are my actions revealing the depth of my love for the Lord?

But how much I love Thee my actions will show.
 
Something to think about.
 
 
"We love Him because He first loved us."  (1 John 4:19 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment