Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Bittersweet

Too many times recently I have opened up Facebook to see that it was a friend's birthday.  Of course, that happens every day, but on too many occasions recently it has been bittersweet.

It happened again on Monday.  There they were.  Two friends' names. Meg and Tommy.  Both of them no longer in this life.  Just a week ago, it was one of my dearest lifelong friends.  Carleen and I had been close friends since we met in 6th grade.  It was one of those special friendships that transcends time and place.

Seeing these names is bittersweet.  There's the sadness because they are no longer here.  But there's the joy at remembering the good times.  When and how we met.  The ties that bound us together.  Fun times and good conversations.  Precious memories.

And there is also the joy that comes in knowing where they are now.  The joy that comes in knowing that they belonged to Jesus in this life, and they are with Him now and for all eternity.

Meg left this earth most recently, just a few short weeks ago.  Her memorial service closed with a recording of her singing.  I loved to hear her sing.  I loved to watch her sing, because she sang not only with her voice, but with her soul.  As I listened to her singing How Deep the Father's Love for Us, I could almost see her!

I will likely think of Meg every time I hear this song for the rest of my life.  It was the testimony of her life.  And of Tommy's.  And of Carleen's. And of so many other friends and family who have already gone to be with Jesus.

Remembering them is bittersweet.  They are missed.  But remembering them makes me smile.

"The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law, but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."  (1 Corinthians 15:56 NASB)

Listen here to How Deep the Father's Love for Us:  https://youtu.be/1vmY2ztb5xc

No comments:

Post a Comment