Thursday, May 12, 2016

Diary of a Knee Replacement. A Good Day.

Yesterday was a good day.

But before I tell you about yesterday, let me give you a little background.

Six weeks have passed since I had total knee replacement surgery.  Six long, sometimes frustrating, weeks.  I have made good progress.  I know that.  The doctor has said that.  The physical therapist has said that.  My friends and family tell me that.  And I know it is true.

Even so, there have been days when I have been frustrated.  A lot frustrated.  Particularly over these last couple of weeks, I have struggled with my attitude because, having achieved a 100 degree bend, it seemed this stubborn knee just wouldn't bend a single degree further.  No matter how hard I tried.  No matter how much I willed it to do just a little more.  No matter what I or my therapist did, it wouldn't budge. 

It was infuriating.  There might or might not have been some tears shed.  There might or might not have been a meltdown.  Or two.  Or perhaps more.

I was stuck on stuck, and it did not make me happy.

Meanwhile, last Sunday was my first Sunday to resume my place in the teaching rotation for our Life Group.  We have been studying in Philippians, and the passage I was to teach was Philippians 3:12-21.  It's a marvelous passage.  You should read it.  Read the whole chapter.  In fact, just read the whole book.  It's a very short book, but it packs a powerful punch.

In this particular passage, the Apostle Paul writes these words:  forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 3:13b-14 NASB)

Studying this passage and preparing to teach it was a great encouragement to my soul and my spirit.  It challenged me afresh to live all in for Jesus, always keeping my eyes on the goal, looking forward to what lies ahead, because something better is coming.  That's the lesson in a nutshell.  And as so often happens when I dig deep into the Scriptures, I was encouraged.

But these verses also had an interesting impact on me as regards my knee rehab.  I was encouraged by these verses, not only in a spiritual sense, but in a real and practical sense.  Having studied these verses, I had a renewed determination, not just to be all in for Jesus but to be all in with my therapy. 

I went to therapy on Friday morning with this renewed determination.  I pedaled harder and longer on the bike.  I pushed harder on the slide.  I went just a little deeper in my squats.  After I had done all that, it was time for a measurement.  Still 100 degrees.  No change.  But I was undeterred.  That afternoon and through the weekend I worked harder than ever on my exercises.  Pushing harder.  More reps.

Then came Monday.  Time to do it all again.  On the bike.  On the slide.  Doing the squats and the lunges.  All of that yielded a measurement of only 98 degrees.  Ugh.  More frustration.  But still determined, I pressed on.

Yesterday it was time to do it again.  And this time all that hard work yielded the desired result. 105 degrees!  Hallelujah and thank you, Jesus!

After therapy, it was time for a check-up at the orthopedist's office and my good day continued.  The x-rays look great.  I have been relieved of my cane and compression hose.  Once again, hallelujah and thank you, Jesus!  It was a good, good day!

As I have been thinking about all that this morning, reflecting on these last few weeks, and enjoying the beauty of this morning, I realize just how blessed I am.  How much I have to be thankful for. 

I'm thankful for such a good day yesterday, and looking forward to what lies ahead today.

Because today is a good day to have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment