Wednesday, September 7, 2011

That Word Again!

Yesterday I shared with you some of the lessons I have been learning.  About God.  About His timing.  About patience.  About waiting.  I guess you could sum it all up by saying that I am learning not only to believe God, but to trust Him.......not just in the "big" things, like salvation and my eternal destiny, for example, but also in the "small" everyday things as well.

I began my day yesterday with this verse......"I waited patiently for the Lord."

Well, here we go again!  This morning I turned the calendar page and this is what I read......"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him" (Psalm 37:7 NASB, emphasis mine). 

Hmmmmm.  You need to know that I am not a big believer in coincidence.  So I need to consider this concept of waiting carefully. 

There are a couple of decisions I have been considering......some activities I was thinking about participating in.  Now I think I will hold off on making a final decision and consider more carefully.  I will "wait".

I did a little research this morning into this verse.  Rest in the Lord.  What does that mean?  The verb "rest" in Hebrew (damam) means to be silent, to be still.  It can mean the state of being motionless or to stand still or to refrain from speech.  It is also used to mean the absence of emotional distress; the ability to be quiet and relax. 

I don't know about you, but I can think of a lot of things in life that can cause emotional distress.  Just watch or listen to a news broadcast.  Check your 401K account (maybe that should now read "01K account"!!).  Remember back to the events of ten years ago, and think about the turmoil and terrorism that have become part of our world.  There are many reasons to be distressed.

So today......in the middle of the busyness and the frustrations and the challenges that this day may bring.....I'm holding on to this verse.  I'm learning more and more to rest in the Lord.  To trust His character and His ways.  To "be still" and know that He is God.  To rest and to wait.

What about you?  What is God teaching you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment