Saturday, August 24, 2024

Looking Forward

Almost 5 weeks have passed since I had shoulder surgery. These have been challenging weeks for sure. I had known it would be, of course, but really had no idea just how great a challenge this would be! Not only is there the pain that accompanies any surgery, but there’s the frustration of having to do everything with one hand. In my case, it’s the non-dominant hand. 

Since I am pretty much useless with my left hand, and since I’m not allowed to use the right hand/arm,  you can perhaps imagine my frustration. If not, just try having a shower using only your non-dominant hand, and that will give you a hint of what life has been like these last few weeks. Or you could just try eating with your non-dominant hand, or writing with your non-dominant hand.

Thinking about all the things that have frustrated me over these last few weeks has me also thinking about all the things I’m looking forward to. Certainly I am looking forward to being out of this sling. I’m looking forward to being able to wash and dry my hair. I’m looking forward to getting dressed without needing assistance. I’m looking forward to being able to use a pen or pencil. Which leads me to say that my husband deserves major props! He has learned to style my hair, has helped with mascara, and put in my earrings! If you see him, give him a pat on the back!

Yes, there are many things I’m looking forward to. But the thing I look forward to most has nothing to do with shoulder surgery, with rotator cuffs, or with bicep tendons. What I most look forward to is the return of the Lord Jesus Christ. I look forward to seeing my Savior face-to-face. I have no greater anticipation.

Through these last few weeks, I have had much to be thankful for. I am thankful for a great orthopedic surgeon. I am thankful for a great physical therapist. I am thankful for family and friends who have been praying for me. I’m thankful for my husband who has taken such excellent care of me. 

But I am most thankful for the gift of Jesus. I am thankful for the gift of salvation. I’m thankful for the promise of Christ’s return.

And I am looking forward to His return with great anticipation!


“Looking for the Blessed Hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus…..” - Titus 2:13                                                                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment