Monday, June 19, 2017

Life on the Road. Recovery.

Two weeks have passed since we loaded the car one last time and drove home from our recent road trip around the country. When we got into the car that Monday afternoon and I heard the voice from the GPS say "navigating home", that was music to my ears!


After more than 8,000 miles, 21 states, 19 different hotels, and far to many restaurant meals, it was good to be finally home. These two weeks since we returned home have been busy weeks. Unpacking, catching up on laundry, grocery shopping, all the things that are part of getting back to "normal", whatever that is!


Before the trip, I had spent more than four month focused on my stroke recovery. I spent my time going to therapy and to Doctor visits, doing my therapy "homework", and napping. Before we left on the trip, I "graduated" from therapy, which means that I had a new routine to get accustomed to. And since living on the road is completely different from life at home, I find myself once again making adjustments and trying to find my new normal.


One of the most interesting things about this trip was how different parts of the country experience spring. Here in South Carolina, spring usually comes pretty early. Things around here warm up and green up pretty quickly. It was warm when we left here in April and even warmer when we got to Florida. But after that we headed north, and I was reminded that spring comes much later to other parts of the country. When were in St. Louis, it was very cold and wet, and that's what we experienced as we headed further north and east. In fact, we had to buy some warner clothes!


Now that we have returned home, we have passed warm weather and have headed straight to hot! This leaves my system a little discombobulated!


Getting our "normal" back after an eight week road trip requires a period of adjustment! Recovering from the fatigue that is part of such a long trip, adjusting back to our regular schedules, trying to shed those extra pounds that inevitably show up after travel - it's all part of the recovery process. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, or perhaps it's stroke-related, but it seems this road-trip-recovery is a very slow process.


Even so, I am thrilled to be back home. Back in my own space. Back in my comfort zone. While we were away, we saw some beautiful scenery. Ate some delicious food. Stayed in some really nice hotels.


I'm thankful for all these experiences. Thankful that I could experience them with Al. And now I'm looking forward to whatever lies ahead as we recover from this adventure and move on the next one!


"The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness."  (Lamentations 3:22-23 NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment