Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Waiting - Again!

The weatherman says there's another "snow event" on the way....again!!......so I'm waiting for it to get here.  There's been a lot of that this winter!  We had a small "event" yesterday, but this one is apparently a bigger "event"!  I'm really tired of these "events" and am ready for spring to get here!!  I know that my friends in New England and in the Midwest have had much more of these "events" to deal with this winter.  I'm sure they are probably ready for spring, too!!

I was thinking this morning about how much "waiting" is a part of my life.  Right now I'm waiting for answers to a couple of very specific prayers.  I'm waiting for a resolution to an issue that is weighing heavy on my heart.  I'm waiting for snow.  I'm waiting for my husband to get home from California.  I'm waiting for a replacement for my broken Keurig.  I'm waiting for the computer to finish downloading some photos so I can work on a photo book.  Lots of waiting.

And I'm reminded that waiting is part of life.  The Bible has a lot to say about that.  I looked in my  Strong's Concordance this morning and found LOTS of references for wait, waits, waiting.  I didn't count how many, but trust me......there are lots!  Here are a few that jumped out at me this morning.

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:14)
"I wait for Thy word." (Psalm 119:81)
"I wait for Thy word."  (Psalm 119:114)
"I wait for Thy word, my soul does wait, and in His word do I hope." (Psalm 130:5)

Don't you think we often think of "waiting" in a negative way?  We're impatient (at least I often am!) and want what we want when we want it.......example - that new Keurig I'm waiting for!!  Or we're looking for an answer to prayer to come even before we've prayed!!  There's also the sense of dread often associated with waiting......like waiting for yet another snowstorm to come.

But waiting on the Lord, waiting for His word.....that puts waiting in a different light.  It's more the sense of eager anticipation.  Look at these two verses in the New Testament that give us that sense of waiting:

"For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." (Philippians 3:20)
"To wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, that is Jesus, who delivers us from the wrath to come." (1 Thessalonians 1:10)

Now that's worth waiting for!!

"looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself a people for His own possession."  (Titus 2:13-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment