Thursday, September 9, 2021

A Few of My Favorites

I have loved books for as long as I can remember. From being read to by my parents, to the bookmobile on the corner of our street, to learning to read for myself and making countless trips to the library….books have been a big part of my life.

When I had my stroke almost five years ago, I thought my relationship with books had ended. Even after months of therapy which helped me learn to read and write again, reading just wasn’t the same. Reading had become stressful rather than pleasurable. Thankfully, that has changed over time. My therapist said it would, although I didn’t believe her. But she was right and I was wrong. And in the last year reading has once again become a source of great pleasure. 

As a result, I did a lot of reading over the summer. This morning I’m sharing a few of my favorites. I couldn’t decide how many to share, but I finally decided to give you the top 5. Here they are, in no particular order.

One of the books I read at the beginning of summer was Hope Between the Pages by Pepper D. Basham. Pepper has become one of my favorite authors, as you will see. The opening line of the book had me hooked: Any story that begins with a library is bound to be an excellent read. And it was! This is a dual timeline story set in and around the Biltmore Estate. It’s a delightful part history, part romance with Christian elements woven throughout.

Another favorite, also from Pepper Basham (I told you she’s a favorite!) is The Mistletoe Countess. This is  an exquisite love story full of history and humor, with strong themes of hope and redemption. The characters are some of my favorites, especially Grace with her joy and enthusiasm and love of books. She even has red hair, so she will remind you a lot of Anne of Green Gables.

Bridge of Secrets by Kimberly Woodhouse was another favorite read this summer. This is another dual time line story set around the Golden Gate Bridge, at its construction and in the modern day, during a renovation. Both time lines are equally complex and compelling. This one is filled with mystery and intrigue.

Next on the list of favorites is The Cryptographer’s Dilemma by Johnnie Alexander. This is part of a series of novels celebrating heroines of World War II. Based on an actual FBI investigation, this one has cryptographer Eloise Marshall working with the FBI to uncover a Japanese spy ring. 

Trace of Doubt by DiAnn Mills is one I just finished a couple of weeks ago (right before Covid brought my life to a standstill!). I loved it! It was unputdownable! (I’m not sure that’s an actual word!) It’s a different style from the others I have mentioned. It starts with a bang and moves nonstop to it’s very unexpected ending. It’s fast paced with lots of twists and turns, with very interesting characters. This is Christian romantic suspense at its finest!

Because I had a hard time limiting myself to the self-imposed 5 favorites, I’m giving you a list of “honorable mentions”. They are worth checking out as well. To keep up with what I’m reading, you can follow me on Goodreads, or keep checking here, as I often post book reviews on this page.

Here’s the Honorable Mention List:

    Lady in Attendance by Rachel Fordham

    The Chase by Lisa Harris

    Present Danger by Elizabeth Goddard

In summer, I primarily read fiction, and save the “heavier” reading for the winter months. However, there is one nonfiction work I want to recommend to you. Even though I haven’t finished it yet, this is a powerful read. Voddie T. Baucham Jr is the author of fault lines, The Social Justice Movement and Evangelicalism’s Looming Catastrophe. As a Christian and a pastor who also happens to be a black man, Baucham offers a powerful perspective on the social issues we are facing. 

So there you have it….my summer reading favorites. And as usual, I have a pretty long “to be read” list! A never ending list!

What are some of your favorite reads? I would love to hear from you. 

Happy Reading!












No comments:

Post a Comment