Monday, July 5, 2021

The Scarlet Pen. A Book Review.

 


I finished reading The Scarlet Pen by Jennifer Uhlarik over the weekend. It is part of Barbour Publishing’s True Colors series, a fact-as-fiction series of books based on true crimes. This one journeys into the counterfeit money business in the 19th century as well as the life of serial killer Stephen Dee Richards. This is the 12th book in the True Colors series, but each stands alone.

As the story begins, Emma Draycott has become engaged to her childhood friend Stephen Dee Richards, but he leaves town almost immediately on “business”. Secret Service Agent Clay Timmons arrives in town tracing fake currency, and the trail soon points to Richards. This book is both a crime novel and a love story, with a Christian perspective through.

I took an immediate dislike to Richards, even before I was aware of just what a villain he was. Sweet Emma…I often wanted to shake her so she would wake up and see the truth about Richards. I immediately liked Clay, who was not only an excellent investigator but also an excellent “leading man”. 

This is my first Jennifer Uhlarik read, but I hope not my last. Uhlarik has done an excellent job of telling the story of these horrible crimes, yet at the same time weaving a thread of hope throughout. The characters are authentic, the events are vividly described without excessive blood and gore, and the dialogue between characters is well written and flowed easily. This is one you don’t want to miss.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for a review.


No comments:

Post a Comment